OPTION 1: DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ImageJTo download and install ImageJ (its free!) on a Java-enabled machine, download ij140.zip (2MB) and extract the ImageJ directory. For detailed documentation and more information, visit the ImageJ website (http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/). Click here to get the latest Java release.
OPTION 2: RUN ImageJ AS AN APPLETClick the icon above to run a signed ImageJ applet (you must run a signed version to use the File/Open, File/Import and File/Save commands). Select "Run" when prompted regarding the verification signature. This will open ImageJ on your desktop. To view and work with files, you must first download them onto your computer (e.g. create a folder on your desktop and put all the files there).
AN EXAMPLE USING ImageJ TO VIEW A FILE
- Download the file "LE_1986_01.txt" by right-clicking on it (hold down the Control key and click on a Mac),
- Select File-->Import-->Text Image...
- Locate the file on your computer and select OK
you see black screen you may need to adjust the range by selecting
Process-->Math-->Max-->500 (assuming units are W/m2)
- For optimal viewing, adjust the contrast by selecting Process-->Enhance Contrast-->unselect Normalize and unselect Equalize Histogram-->OK
- To change the colors to something more exciting select Image-->Lookup Tables-->Fire